posted Mar 19, 2010, 5:02 AM by David Wright
updated Mar 22, 2010, 6:12 AM
On November 23, 2009, a 37-year old contract mechanic with 4 years of mining experience was fatally injured at a shaft sinking operation. The victim and another miner were disassembling a two part sheave wheel from the end of a pivoting hoist. The hoist boom fell suddenly and struck both miners. The victim died the next morning from his injuries. The other miner was treated at a hospital.
- Securely block raised equipment to prevent accidental movement before working beneath such equipment.
- Routinely monitor work habits and strictly enforce compliance with established safe work procedures.
- Ensure that equipment operators communicate with other workers who work in close proximity to their equipment.
- Ensure that personnel are trained to recognize hazardous work procedures, including working under the boom of a crane.
- Discuss work procedures and identify all hazards associated with the work to be performed, along with the methods to protect personnel.